Sedimentology and Stratigraphy Advisor, London
Sedimentology and Stratigraphy Adviser is a newly formed specialist role created to meet a growing need for internal technical expertise and excellence. He/She will use the developed proven technical skills to provide Sedimentology and Stratigraphy expertise to worldwide The Company exploration projects. He/She will be the single point accountable for the technical quality of exploration products describing reservoir presence and quality. This position will be based in London (UK).
Specific responsibilities include:
* Developing and implementing internal best practices on GDE mapping and risking of source rock presence, reservoir presence and reservoir quality.
* Providing input and QA/QC for regional Play Based Exploration work (play fairway analysis) performed by contractors.
* Performing hands-on technical work on high-profile exploration projects.
* Participating in Exploration Technical Reviews aimed to ensure technical excellence and consistency of exploration deliverables.
* Compiling and maintaining company-wide database of reservoir properties used in prospect volumetric calculations.
* Coaching the less experienced staff, advising on training (including field trips) for subsurface staff.
* Representing SPI in relevant industry consortiums and forums.
Desired Skills & Experience
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
* PhD in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy or Petroleum Geology.
* >7 years of experience across the value chain (exploration to production) with a major oil company.
* Experience with both clastic and carbonate conventional reservoirs from a variety of depositional environments, tectonic settings and geological ages.
* Workstation proficiency (experience with or ability to quickly learn Kingdom).
* Proficiency in ArcGIS.
* Technical experience and understanding of the upstream exploration business, particularly in the evaluation of new ventures/business development opportunities.
* Demonstrated ability to lead team work on multiple projects in close collaboration with other geoscientists and interact effectively with multi-discipline exploration and new ventures team members.
* Ability to work in a geographically dispersed virtual team. This will include recognition of the need for periodic regional and inter-continental travel as circumstances dictate.
* Understanding of and willingness to work in a matrix organisation.
* Fluency in written and spoken use of the English language.
* Understanding of the importance of The Company Values and other Company Group working policies.
SPECIFIC TECHNICAL EXPERTISE AND EXPERIENCE
* Experience in working in sub-surface, predominantly exploration, evaluation teams is required.
* Proven ability to describe rocks, interpret regional megasequences, build chronostratigraphic charts, interpret depositional environments from cores, well-logs and sequence stratigraphic analysis, analyse play fairways, construct GDE maps, predict reservoir quality, and create CRS maps for source rock presence, reservoir presence and reservoir quality.
* Working knowledge of structural analysis, petroleum systems analysis, geological evaluation of well-logs, airborne gravity and magnetic data, prospect volumetric calculations (preferably using GeoX) and risking.
* Experience in onshore and offshore basins in Africa and Australia would be an advantage.
* Experience in unconventional reservoirs (shale gas, CBM) would be an advantage.
* Experience in partnership/JV operations would be an advantage.
* Experience in working with government and other agencies in gathering data would be an advantage.
For more information about this role please contact our London office
This the expired vacancy text for default site..